Applebee’s Low Carb Options
Applebee’s is a large chain that seems to be very open to making substitutions in meals! Always helpful when need low carb options.
Want an appetizer? You’re in luck!
The classic wings, buffalo style are 6 grams of carbs, and the hot buffalo are 7 grams.
Steak is always a good place to start our meal perusal; let’s take a look at all the low carb friendly options! Most all of these come with a vegetable and a potato of some type – skip that potato and double up on the veggies. Word is you can always request steamed broccoli if the offered vegetable doesn’t work for you.
I’ve also read in many places that they will make their “loaded potato” on broccoli for you. LOADED BROCCOLI! Broccoli with cheese, sour cream, and bacon? Yes, please!
Steaks & toppers – without sides:
- 12 oz. New York Strip less than 1 g of carbs
- 12 oz. Ribeye 3g carbs
- 9 oz. House Sirloin 4g carbs
- 7 oz. House Sirloin 2g carbs
- Steak & Grilled Shrimp Combo 2g carbs
- Shrimp ‘N Parmesan Sirloin 6g carbs
- Topper – Sautéed Garlic Mushrooms 3g carbs
- Topper – Grilled Onions 5g carbs
- Topper – Shrimp ‘N Parmesan 3g carbs
As most of us ‘low carbers’ know, anything touting Weight Watchers is not the place for us – this rings true on the Applebee’s menu as well. Just skip it the Weight Watchers menu items!
Applebee’s offers up a lot of creative, delicious looking salads with a couple of them fitting nicely into the low carb diet.
- The California Shrimp salad has has avocado, olives, bacon, and egg in addition to that yummy shrimp. Plenty of nice healthy fats, protein and veggies at a respectable 14 net grams of carbs as served and 11 net grams of carbs without the dressing.
- The Seasonal Berry Salad is spinach leaves layered with juicy blueberries, sliced strawberries, grilled chicken breast, bleu cheese crumbles and honey-glazed pecans. Skip the pecans to avoid the sugar and ask for no dressing and you’ll come in at 12 net grams of carbs (please note, this count is WITH the pecans, would be slightly less without them – I’d still count it at 12)
- The Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad lists itself as 18 net grams of carbs. Have them hold the croutons, and enjoy! Without dressing (but croutons included) it’s 16 net grams.
Applebee’s lists the nutritional content of all burgers with the buns included, so it’s hard to figure exactly where you’re at but if you’re wanting a burger then the Bacon Cheddar Burger looks like a great choice. “Cheddar cheese and crispy Applewood smoked bacon crown our thick ‘n hearty burger on a toasted bakery bun. Served with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles.” And, they have no problem holding the bun! Ask for a little extra lettuce and dig in. Remember to sub out those fries for a side of veggie (3- 6 net grams of carbs), or house salad (9 net grams of carbs). Inquire about ketchup as it’s not listed as an ingredient; ketchup definitely has sugar and who wants that surprise?
As always, don’t be afraid to ask questions and ask for substitutions.